Monday, November 14, 2011

Barefoot Contessa's Engagement Chicken Recipe (Roast Chicken)



I love roasting a whole chicken. Every time I do it's like a complete surprise because it turned out right! I never used to think I could make a whole chicken, but it's super easy! I have the Barefoot Contessa to thank for this recipe. I saw her do it on TV and thought, "Well, I can do that!" She calls it Engagement Chicken because it's so good your boyfriend will propose! ;)


*Once again, no recipe is exactly the same because I make it my own. I add my own little twist to everything.

Roast Chicken

4-5 lb whole chicken
2 small or 1 large onion, sliced
2 lemons, quartered
1 head of garlic, cut crosswise
Olive oil
Butter
Salt and Pepper
1 cup chicken stock
1 Tbs. flour

-First, clean out the chicken (the heart and the giblets, etc.). Then pat the chicken completely dry with paper towels.
-Rub olive oil all over the chicken.
-Sprinkle salt and pepper inside the cavity of the chicken. Stuff the chicken with the garlic, one lemon, and a little onion. Also, stuff a few pats of butter in, too.
-Rub butter underneath the skin of the bird, then sprinkle all over with salt and pepper.
-Take the rest of the onion and lemon and make a bed on a roasting pan. Mix with a tiny bit of olive oil and then lay the chicken on top.
-Tuck the wing tips under, and tie the legs together with some kitchen twine.
-Roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes on 425 degrees.
-Let rest 10 minutes on a serving platter. Place some foil on top to keep warm.
-While chicken rests, make gravy. Take the juices from the roasting pan and mix with chicken stock and flour. Cook until thickened. Serve with chicken.

*For a printable version of this recipe, CLICK HERE!!!

This chicken comes out so moist and tender and juicy! It's awesome! Who knew cooking a whole chicken could be so easy?! Give it a try and let me know how it goes!

**It is okay to feature one of my photos or recipes on a site, as long as you provide a link back to my site, or proper credit is given. Thanks in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment