Thursday, July 30, 2015

DIY Book Page Placemat


This book page placemat is so easy to make and so cute! It's absolutely adorable on a table by your bookshelf, and it gives an otherwise boring tabletop a little character!

I saw this craft in a book that I'm obsessed with at the moment, The Big A** Book of Crafts! Literally, that's the name of it! (Excuse the language!)


This book is awesome! It's full of fun and easy crafts that anyone can do! All of the crafts are broken down into different sections, so everything is easy to find. Also, it lists everything you need for that specific craft, as well as simple and easy to follow directions.


That picture was my inspiration! I just love the look of these book page placemats! 

I didn't follow the directions in the book, I just used what I had on hand and did it my own way.

Here's how!

DIY Book Page Placemat



You'll need:

An old book
An old placemat
Wax paper
Mod Podge
A foam brush
Washi tape
Tape
Scissors

- First, tear the pages you want to use from your book. I chose to stain mine with tea to get a vintage feel. (To do this, just let your pages sit in a bucket of tea for a few hours, and then let them dry.) 

- Second, cut the margins off of your page, so you're left with just the words.


- Third, cut your wax paper to the size of your placemat. (If you have an old plastic placemat, feel free to use that instead of the wax paper. I didn't have one, so I just used the paper.) 


- Next, decide how you're going to arrange your pages onto the wax paper, then use your foam brush to spread Mod Podge all over the wax paper. Now, moving quickly, arrange your pages over the Mod Podge.

- Once you've arranged your pages, add another layer of Mod Podge over the entire thing. Allow to dry completely.


(I chose to put a book quote in the middle of my placemat instead of a picture. This one is from Harry Potter!)

- Now, tape the edges together with some tape. Just to ensure that the edges stay together.


- Once you've gone over all of your edges with your regular tape, use your Washi tape to beautify your edges.

AND THAT'S IT!

I loved this project! So much that I think I'm going to do a couple more of these and scatter them throughout the house.

Try this fun craft and then let me know what you thought about it, or send me a photo!

**It is okay to feature any of my photos or diy's as long as you provide a link back to my site, or proper credit it given. Thanks in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment