Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Craft Time - Recycling Candle/Pickle Jars!!!


(Yes, that's an old pickle jar! Cute, right?)

As you can probably tell, I'm an avid lover of crafts and anything DIY! Let's be honest here, sometimes you just don't have the extra cash to buy that gorgeous vase from Michael's or those cute organizing containers from Target. I don't know about you guys, but I'm a penny pinching princess, and I'm all about saving money and recycling things that I already have.

I always have tons of candles in my home. I just love them, and I always hated when the time came that you just couldn't burn them anymore and had to throw them out. (You know what I'm talking about! The jars get all black and gross, and you can't reach the wick anymore!) Don't worry, though, because I found the perfect solution, and of course, I found it on Pinterest. Really, is there anything better than Pinterest for a DIY lover?!

This is such a simple process, and you won't believe how easy it is to do!

Here's what you do:


First, gather all your old candle jars, and then meet me in the kitchen!

Boil enough water to fill up all your candle jars on the stove. Once the water start to boil, very carefully, pour the boiling water into each candle jar. You'll want to do this over the sink, but don't over fill the jars! You want to leave enough room at the top for the wax to settle. Then just let it sit for a few hours until the water cools and the wax floats up to the top and begins to harden.

What happens is the boiling water slowly melts the wax and brings it to the top of the water.



Once all the wax has floated to the top and hardened, it'll look like this...



When the water has cooled and the wax still has a little give, reach in and pull it out. You can discard the wax, but I dry it off with a paper towel, and then stick it into a Ziploc bag until I'm ready to use it.

To use the leftover wax, I break it up into chunks, put in in a cute, RECYCLED jar, and use it in my tart burner!

What did I tell you? Penny pinching princess! =)



After you've gotten the wax out of the jars, pour the water out OUTSIDE!!!! DO NOT POUR THE LEFTOVER WATER IN THE SINK! It will definitely clog it up, trust me!

After you pour the water out, wipe out the jar with a paper towel (to make sure you get all the leftover wax out), then wash it out with some dish soap and dry it.

At this point, you have a world of possibilities! You can do absolutely anything with these leftover jars!

*Oh, and don't forget to keep your candle jar lids!

(You can use a little ModPodge to put some cute labels on them, like I did in the picture below! You can find tons of cute printable labels on Pinterest!)

Endless possibilities!



You can also clean out old pickle jars and use them, too! Just soak them in some hot bleach water to get the smell out and to soften the label so you can remove it.

I've made tons of things using old pickle jars! Some of my latest creations are these cute and easy lamps!




All I used was some hot glue, a little burlap, some string lights, flowers, and a few embellishments.

These lamps were completely free, because I just reused things I already had!


What are some of your favorite ways to reuse old jars? Let me know in the comments, and I'll be sure to try them out!!!

**It is okay to feature any of my photos or diy's as long as you provide a link back to my site, or proper credit it given. Thanks in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment