Sunday, April 1, 2012

Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe



So, as I went to make spaghetti earlier I came to realize that I had no pasta sauce in the pantry...PANIC!! I was about to toss the spaghetti idea out the window, but then it hit me that I should just make my own. This was the perfect time to get a little creative and show Food Network who their next star should really be! haha So, I called on my inner Giada de Laurentis, and I made this sauce from scratch, and I'm proud to say it turned out pretty awesome! Hope you enjoy! Let me know how you like it in the comments!


Heather's Homemade Tomato Sauce

3 14.4oz cans of diced tomatoes
3 Tbs. tomato paste
1 small can tomato sauce
1 small onion or half of a large onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic minced
Olive oil
4 Tbs. butter
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 1/2 Tbs. Italian seasoning
1/2 Tbs. oregano
1/4 Tbs. basil
1/2 Tbs. garlic powder
1 Tbs. salt
1/2 Tbs. pepper
1-2 Tbs. brown sugar
1/2 - 1c. pasta water

-Puree two cans of diced tomatoes (drained) in a food processor or blender. Add tomato sauce and paste, and blend again until smooth.
-Add oil to pot and brown ground beef then drain and set aside.
-In the same pot, add a bit more oil and add butter. Saute onion and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes, on med-high. Add ground beef back in.
-Add tomato puree in with the beef and onion mix and turn heat to low. Add all spices and the other can of diced tomatoes and stir.
-Let sauce simmer about twenty minutes and then taste. Add more seasoning if you'd like. Add brown sugar, and let simmer another ten to fifteen minutes.
-Add pasta water if sauce is really thick.
*Viola!

*For a printable version of this recipe, CLICK HERE!!!

**It is okay to feature one of my photos or recipes on a site, as long as you provide a link back to my site, or proper credit is given. Thanks in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment